Yesterday was the first meeting for “The New PhD: A Renaissance of Public Education.” This inaugural meeting of the Core Working Group covered some general housekeeping and project overview, as well as beginning discussions regarding our first planning theme: curriculum. We will create another update post shortly with some details from our discussion.
For now, here is a copy of our meeting agenda:
Core Working Group Meeting
August 30, 2016
- Outline project priorities
- Planning themes: curriculum, data, partnerships
- Set meeting schedule for the academic year
- Discuss best practices for sharing working documents, etc.
- Platform possibilities: Dropbox, Google Docs, Commons, Basecamp, Slack
- Discuss inclusion of individuals on Project Steering Committee
- Discuss possible curricular changes to doctoral programs
- Using qualifying exams to develop real world skills
- Embedding elements of GCDI Praxis course into early stages of doctoral coursework
- Changes to the form and structure of the dissertation
- Receiving academic credit for internships, externships, and job shadowing experiences